HOW TO RECOGNIZE A GAS LEAK Dig Safely Home< BackNext >

 

A natural gas leak may result in a fire and/or explosion.
Asphyxiation could also result because natural gas can displace oxygen in confined spaces.

Consumers Energy adds a distinctive, sulfur-like or “rotten egg” odor to natural gas to assist in the detection of leaks.
However, in certain conditions you may not be able to smell this odorant. Additionally, natural gas in major transmission lines usually does not have odorant added.

Don’t rely on your nose alone.
Use your senses of sight, hearing and smell to detect a gas leak. Here are the signs:

  • “Rotten egg” smell from distribution lines
  • Blowing or hissing sound
  • Dead or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
  • Dirt or dust blowing from a hole in the ground
  • Bubbling in wet or flooded areas
  • Flames, if a leak has ignited

 

Remember the three R’s of natural gas safety (Recognize, React and Report). If you RECOGNIZE any signs of a gas leak, REACT by immediately leaving the area. When you are at a safe place, REPORT the leak by calling 911 and Consumers Energy at 800-477-5050 any time, day or night.

 

How to Recognize a Gas Leak

How to Recognize a Gas Leak

How to Recognize a Gas Leak